Relish the lingering essence of summer with this enticing watermelon salad. A delightful mix of sweet and savory elements, it’s perfect for a refreshing side dish during an early fall dinner. Dive into this recipe and let the flavors of watermelon, herbs, and a zesty dressing tantalize your tastebuds.
- 2 oz. fish sauce (or vegan fish sauce as a substitute)
- 2 oz. lime juice (juice of one large lime)
- 1 oz. white sugar
- ½ tsp. (2.5 mL) dried chili flakes (For extra heat, add 1 bird’s eye chili, finely sliced)
- 2 cups (500 mL) watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 1 salted cooked duck egg, crumbled (feta or vegan feta can be used as a substitute)
- 2 tbsp. (15 mL) crushed toasted peanuts (alternative nuts like almonds can be used)
- 5 leaves fresh Thai basil
- 10 leaves cilantro
- 10 leaves fresh mint
- Prepare the Dressing: Mix all the dressing ingredients in a bowl until the sugar completely dissolves.
- Assemble the Salad: In a separate large bowl, combine the watermelon, cherry tomatoes, and shallot.
- Pour the Dressing: Gently mix the dressing into the salad.
- Add Toppings: Crumble the salted duck egg over the salad (this step is optional).
- Herbs and Nuts: Tear the fresh herbs and sprinkle them over the salad. Add the crushed peanuts or your chosen nuts.
- Serve: Mix everything together gently and serve on your preferred platter. For an aesthetic touch, garnish with some more fresh herbs.
The watermelon salad is ideal for serving 2-4 people as a side dish. This refreshing blend of ingredients captures the essence of summer, making it the perfect dish to bid adieu to the warm season. Enjoy!