Vilano Beach, Florida, is gearing up for the grand opening of Pesca, a restaurant and rooftop bar. Situated in the new Hyatt Place, it’s inspired by Latin and Caribbean flavors. The opening is set for October 17th at 117 Vilano Road. The restaurant resonates with vintage Miami vibes, particularly from the Art Deco period, complementing the beachy ambiance of Vilano.
- Chef Michael Lugo, who previously opened Michael’s Tasting Room in 2006, is the mastermind behind Pesca. His restaurant was featured on a cooking show with Chef Emeril Lagasse in 2012 and has earned a reputation for its wine offerings and Spanish cuisine. Lugo’s new venture, Pesca Vilano, offers an indoor dining area with a bar, wine library, private dining room, and a special chef’s table. The rooftop bar and grill will feature small plates, seafood specials, and various beverages.
- Wine Offering: Michael’s won its first Restaurant Award in 2020. Under the direction of wine director Lyndsay Burnett, the wine list has expanded to around 560 labels. Burnett will also manage the wine at Pesca. Lugo praises Burnett’s skills and dedication, noting her focus on details and her ability to maintain the wine inventory while offering guests an optimal experience.
- Bakery Department: Pesca Vilano is enhancing its offerings by setting up a bakery department led by pastry chef Rebecca Reed, a recent winner of the Dr. Zeus cooking show on Prime.
- Catering Services: The restaurant will cater for upscale events in the Hyatt Place’s banquet room.
- Inspiration: Lugo shared that Pesca Vilano is a tribute to Florida’s coastal cuisine, inspired by the state’s coastal regions and the immigrants who contributed to its development. He also mentioned his personal inspiration from his late father’s favorite Puerto Rican restaurant.
- Staff Expansion: Lugo emphasized the importance of bringing on board dedicated professionals. Among the new hires is Rebecca Reed, who will spearhead the bakery department.
- Future Project: Chef Lugo is planning another culinary venture with the anticipated opening of La Nouvelle, a French Bistro, by the end of 2023. This bistro will be located in a late 1800s Victorian house that once belonged to Thomas Jefferson’s great-granddaughter, at 102 Bridge Street, St. Augustine.
Vilano Beach is about to witness a culinary enhancement with the introduction of Pesca, echoing Latin and Caribbean flavors. With a rich history in the culinary world, Chef Lugo’s new venture is expected to cater to the discerning tastes of its guests.