Give your family and guests a taste of British elegance with this classic roast beef dish. Paired with a savory gravy, this beef roast is sure to become a staple in your special dinners.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: Between 1 hour to 2 hours 45 minutes (including resting time)
- 2 kg bone-in prime rib roast
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- Place the rib roast, bone-side down, on a rack in a large roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Dijon mustard and fresh thyme.
- Rub the roast all over with the kosher salt and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Coat the roast with the mustard-thyme mixture, avoiding the bottom.
- Allow the roast to stand uncovered until it reaches room temperature. This should take about 2 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Position the roast in the center of the oven and let it roast uncovered. If you’re aiming for medium rare, roast until a meat thermometer reads 120°F (49°C), which will take around 1 hour to 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Once cooked to your liking, transfer the roast beef to a carving board.
- Loosely cover it with foil and let it rest for 45 minutes. This will help the juices redistribute throughout the meat, making it juicier when carved.
4. Preparing the Gravy:
- Discard any excess fat from the roasting pan, but keep 3 tablespoons of fat along with the pan juices.
- Place the roasting pan over two burners on medium-high heat. Alternatively, transfer the liquid to a large, wide saucepan.
- Once the liquid starts simmering, sprinkle in the flour while stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
- Slowly whisk in the beef broth.
- Keep stirring until the gravy comes to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, until the gravy has thickened, which should take about 5 minutes.
- Carve the rested roast beef and serve it hot with the freshly made gravy.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
- Calories: 493
- Protein: 40 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fat: 33 g
- Sodium: 852 mg
Enjoy your ultimate roast beef and gravy with some roasted vegetables or mashed potatoes for a complete meal!