Situated in Boston’s Jamaica Plain neighborhood, Tonino, an Italian-inspired osteria, showcases the combined flavors and sensibilities of its co-owners Claire Makley and chef Luke Fetbroth. Among their notable beverage selections is the sake-spiked House Spritz. Makley, a Level One Sake Professional, developed a passion for sake a decade ago and aims to make sake a versatile, everyday drink at Tonino. The House Spritz, in particular, combines the Italian aperitivo custom with the flavors of yuzu sake. Served with Prosecco, a red bitter aperitif, and soda water, the yuzu sake imparts a fresh, creamy citrus taste. Quality yuzu sake, like Joto’s, is essential for the best results.
Tonino House Spritz
Servings: 1 drink
- 3 ounces dry Prosecco (Adami Bosco di Gica Prosecco di Valdobbiadene Superiore Brut preferred)
- 2 ounces Cappelletti Vino Aperitivo
- 1 ounce Joto Yuzu Sake
- 1 ounce sparkling water (Topo Chico preferred)
- Lemon twist, for garnish
- In a wine glass, combine Prosecco, Cappelletti Vino Aperitivo, Joto Yuzu Sake, and sparkling water.
- Add ice to the glass.
- Garnish with an expressed lemon twist to accentuate the citrusy notes of the sake.
- Enjoy and relish the fusion of Italian and Japanese flavors!
The drink is perfect for summer days but is versatile enough to enjoy in fall and winter. Its rich body and profile mean it’s here to stay on Tonino’s menu. The fusion of yuzu sake in the spritz not only enhances the drink’s body but also introduces an exciting twist on the classic spritz flavor.