The “Golden Moments Chicken” recipe (formerly known as engagement chicken) by Sarah Bridenstine is a simple yet flavorful way to prepare a whole roasted chicken. It emphasizes the importance of correct cooking temperatures and resting times to ensure a moist and perfectly cooked result.
Here’s how you can further enhance and complete the recipe:
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or melted butter
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional for added sweetness)
- Lemon and Herb Marinade: In a bowl, combine the zest of one lemon, the juice of two lemons, minced garlic, olive oil or melted butter, and honey if you’re using. Mix well until combined.
- Preparing the Chicken: Clean the chicken inside and out, removing any giblets or excess fat. Pat the chicken dry using paper towels.
- Seasoning: Season the chicken cavity generously with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with the remaining lemon (quartered) and a handful of fresh herbs.
- Marinating: Rub the lemon and herb marinade all over the chicken, ensuring it’s well coated, both outside and under the skin wherever possible.
- Follow the original roasting instructions:
- Preheat your oven to 450°F.
- Once the oven is hot, place the chicken breast-side down in a roasting pan and roast for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 375 °F and continue to roast the chicken for approximately 60–70 minutes.
- Ensure the chicken is cooked through by checking its internal temperature.
- Once done, let the chicken rest for about 15 minutes before carving.
6. Serving: Garnish with additional fresh herbs, if desired, and serve with roasted vegetables, potatoes, or a fresh salad.
Remember, the best part about recipes like these is that they’re versatile. Depending on personal preferences or what you have on hand, you can adjust the herbs, use limes instead of lemons for a different citrusy kick, or even add other spices to the marinade for added complexity. Enjoy your meal!