Jazz up your Wednesday feast with this delightful Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms dish that’s not only savory but also packs a punch of nutrition. Filled with flavors and a myriad of textures, these stuffed mushrooms are the perfect side dish or even a main for those days you’re craving something hearty yet healthy.
What You’ll love about this dish:
Mushrooms are not only delicious but are one of the most sustainably produced foods on the planet. They are packed with nutrients, including five B vitamins, phosphorous, copper, and more. This dish not only showcases mushrooms in their full glory but also brings together an array of complementary ingredients that elevate it.
- 6 medium portobello mushrooms (stems removed)
- 200g spinach, chopped
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 1 chopped scallion
- ¾ cup plain yoghurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp tarragon
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- Preparation: Preheat your oven to 220°C. De-stem and scoop out the centres of the portobello mushrooms.
- Mushroom Prep: On a pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, place the mushroom caps facing upwards. Generously drizzle olive oil over the mushrooms and rub them to ensure they are well coated. Lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Baking: Place the mushrooms in the oven and bake for 13 – 15 minutes, or until they turn tender. Once baked, remove and drain any excess liquid.
- Spinach Mixture: In a separate bowl, combine chopped spinach, scallions, and onions. Add plain yogurt, mayonnaise, ¾ cup of Parmesan cheese, tarragon, garlic powder, kosher salt, and black pepper. Mix until well-combined.
- Stuffing and Final Bake: Lower the oven temperature to 190°C. Evenly distribute and spoon the spinach mixture onto each roasted mushroom cap. Garnish with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Return the mushrooms to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the tops turn golden.
- Serve: Once done, remove from the oven and serve immediately. These mushrooms pair beautifully with a side salad or as a stand-alone dish.
This delightful recipe is sure to be a hit whether you’re entertaining guests or just indulging yourself on a quiet evening. The creaminess of the yogurt and mayo pairs perfectly with the earthiness of the mushrooms, creating a dish that’s both comforting and luxurious. Enjoy!