Take the plain boiled artichoke experience up a notch with these lemony, cheesy, golden stuffed variants. Whether you’re aiming for an impressive appetizer or a standout side dish, this stuffed artichoke recipe won’t disappoint!
While whole artichokes can seem daunting due to their spiky exterior and fuzzy choke, this recipe walks you through every step, ensuring a tender inside and a golden, crispy outside. The artichokes can even be prepped up to step 7 and stored in the fridge for 2 days!
Stuffed Artichoke Insights:
Many Italian versions of stuffed artichokes contain olive oil, breadcrumbs, garlic, cheese, and parsley. This rendition adds lemon zest, optional anchovies, and red pepper flakes to boost the flavor.
- 2 tbsp. + 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 lemon
- 6 medium artichokes
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 anchovy fillets in olive oil, rinsed and minced (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 c. Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 c. grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 c. finely chopped Italian parsley (+ extra for garnish)
- Melted salted butter (for serving)
- Fill a large pot with 4 quarts of water and add 2 tablespoons of salt. Zest the lemon, reserve the zest, and squeeze the juice into the pot, adding the squeezed lemon halves.
- Trim the artichokes: remove the stem end and tough outer leaves. Cut an inch from the top, trim the pointed tips, and submerge them in lemon water.
- Bring the water to boil, cover, and simmer until artichokes are tender (25-30 minutes). Then, let them cool.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a skillet, heat oil and add garlic, optional anchovies, pepper flakes, the remaining salt, and lemon zest. Stir in breadcrumbs after 1-2 minutes and transfer to a bowl to cool. Mix in the cheese and parsley afterward.
- Open up the artichokes, remove the fuzzy choke, and place them in a casserole dish.
- Stuff each artichoke with about ½ cup of the breadcrumb mixture, ensuring it gets between the leaves.
- Bake until breadcrumbs turn golden brown (15-20 minutes).
- Allow cooling for 10 minutes, garnish with parsley, and serve with melted butter.
Guests should pull artichoke leaves individually, dip them in butter, and scrape the flesh and stuffing with their teeth. Provide a bowl for discarded leaves.