A Modern Classic for the Dinner Table
Do you find yourself stuck in a chicken-cooking rut? This Sticky Chinese Bourbon Chicken recipe offers a delectable way out, blending the rich flavors of Chinese cooking with the unique character of American bourbon. Perfect for any occasion, from casual dinners to special celebrations, this dish is sure to leave everyone asking for seconds.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
For the Chicken:
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For the Sticky Sauce:
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup bourbon
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
For the Thickener:
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- Green onions, sliced
Step 1: Preparing the Chicken
- Cut the Chicken: Slice the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces.
- Brown the Chicken: In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides (about 5 minutes). Remove the chicken and set aside.
Step 2: Creating the Sticky Sauce
- Flavor Base: In the same skillet, sauté minced garlic and grated ginger for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Combine Ingredients: Add soy sauce, bourbon, brown sugar, honey, and hoisin sauce to the skillet. Stir well and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Simmer: Allow the sauce to simmer for about 5 minutes to let the flavors meld.
Step 3: Thickening the Sauce
- Cornstarch Slurry: In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Thicken: Slowly add the cornstarch mixture to the simmering sauce while stirring constantly. Continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Step 4: Adding the Chicken and Finishing Touches
- Combine: Return the cooked chicken to the skillet and stir well to coat it in the thickened sauce.
- Simmer: Reduce heat and let the chicken simmer in the sauce for 5-10 minutes until cooked through and tender.
- Garnish: Remove from heat and garnish with sliced green onions.
- Serve over steamed rice or noodles.
- For a twist, use the sticky chicken as a filling for wraps or sandwiches.
This Sticky Chinese Bourbon Chicken is the perfect blend of East meets West, offering a mouthwatering fusion of flavors and textures. Simple to prepare yet bursting with flavor, this is one chicken dish that is sure to impress and satisfy. Give it a try for your next dinner, and discover why it’s worthy of becoming a family favorite.