Category: Vegetarian, Breakfast, Plant-Based, Vegan
While oatmeal is a go-to breakfast for many, particularly in places like Loma Linda where many live to be centenarians, it’s common to top it with fruit or nuts. But oatmeal doesn’t always have to be sweet. This recipe transforms the classic breakfast staple into a savory delight, perfect for those who want to mix up their morning routine. This dish is versatile and can easily be adjusted to fit one’s preferences.
Yield: 2 servings
Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup (95 grams) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 carrot or small beet, peeled and shredded
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) water
- 1 cup (15 grams) stemmed and chopped kale or (30 grams) chopped spinach
- ¼ cup (60 grams) salsa or marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ avocado, chopped
- 2 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
- Smoked paprika and/or crushed red pepper (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Prepare Oat Mix: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the oats and shredded carrot or beet. Pour in the water. Adjust the amount of water depending on your preferred consistency; using 1½ cups will result in a thicker oatmeal consistency.
- Cook: Once the mixture reaches a simmer, cook for approximately 5 minutes, stirring often, until all the ingredients are tender.
- Add Greens & Sauce: Stir in the chosen greens (kale or spinach), followed by the salsa or marinara sauce, and nutritional yeast.
- Serve: Transfer the savory oatmeal into bowls. Top with chopped avocado and sprinkle with roasted pumpkin seeds. For an added kick, sprinkle with smoked paprika and/or crushed red pepper. Finally, season with salt and black pepper according to your preference.
Transform this dish by experimenting with different flavors of salsas or pasta sauces. A simple swap can create a whole new taste experience!
While oatmeal is traditionally seen as a sweet dish, this savory version breaks the mold and offers a hearty, flavorful alternative. It’s not just a meal; it’s an experience. Enjoy this dish and feel free to get creative with your toppings and mix-ins!