Mashed potatoes have an undeniable comfort food allure. While many consider peeling potatoes essential, embracing the skin leads to a richer, nutritious, and rustic dish. However, enthusiastic potato preparations often lead to excessive leftovers. But despair not! Cold mashed potatoes can be ingeniously transformed into delightful savory pancakes. Ting Dalton, a recipe developer at Mashed, believes these pancakes are not just a solution to leftovers but are “comfort food at its best.”
These potato cakes are not only delicious but also freezer-friendly. Dalton reassures, “These are great to freeze.” Once thawed, they’re ready for a quick re-fry. Alternatively, prep them ahead and refrigerate to enjoy freshly fried pancakes anytime.
Recipe: Leftover Mashed Potato Cakes
- Leftover mashed potatoes
- Cheese (preferably cheddar, but other varieties work too)
- Pepper to taste
- Garlic (amount as per preference)
- Green onions, finely chopped
- Bacon bits (optional for those wanting a vegetarian version)
- 1 Egg
- Flour (for consistency and coating)
- Cornstarch (for crispy coating)
- Preparation: Gather all ingredients. Ensure the mashed potatoes are cold, as this will make them easier to handle.
- Combine Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed potatoes, cheese, pepper, garlic, green onions, and bacon bits (if using). Add in the egg and a portion of the flour until you achieve the right consistency.
- Shape the Patties: Take the potato mixture and shape it into patties that are about 1 ½ inches thick.
- Coating: In a separate bowl or plate, mix the remaining flour and cornstarch. Coat both sides of each patty in this mixture.
- Fry: Heat oil in a frying pan and shallow-fry the potato cakes. Fry for about 2 minutes on each side. Ensure you don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Drain: Once fried to a golden brown, place the potato cakes on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve: Enjoy these potato cakes as they are, with a side of ketchup, or with a fried egg on top for a wholesome meal.
There’s no better way to bring leftover mashed potatoes back to life than these savory pancakes. They perfectly encapsulate the philosophy of reducing food waste, all while ensuring your taste buds are in for a treat.