Enjoy a tasty Chinese-inspired dish that’s easy, quick, and perfect for a midweek meal! The combination of tender marinated chicken, green capsicum, chewy noodles, and a rich stir-fry sauce ensures this dish will be a hit.
- 1½ tbsp cornflour
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- ⅛ tsp white pepper
- 500g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 1cm pieces
- 500g Hokkien or other noodles
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, cut into 6mm slices
- 2 green capsicums, sliced 6mm
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup roasted salted cashews, roughly chopped
- Prepare Stir-fry Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk cornflour and soy sauce until smooth. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and mix well.
- Marinate Chicken: In a medium bowl, combine chicken and 2 tablespoons of the stir-fry sauce. Mix until chicken is well-coated. Allow it to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Prepare Noodles: Cook noodles as per packet instructions. Once done, drain and set aside.
- Begin Stir-fry: In a large non-stick pan or wok, heat vegetable oil over high heat. Sauté garlic and onion for about 2 minutes.
- Cook Chicken: Add marinated chicken to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, then add capsicum and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Combine with Noodles: Introduce the cooked noodles to the pan, ensuring they’re well mixed with the chicken and veggies.
- Finish with Sauce: Pour in the remaining stir-fry sauce and water. Toss everything together for 1-2 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and gives the noodles a glossy look.
- Serve: Dish out the noodles into four bowls. Sprinkle each serving with chopped cashews before serving.
- Hokkien noodles can typically be found in the supermarket fridge section. However, you can substitute them with your favorite type of noodle.
- All-purpose soy sauce can replace light soy sauce. Avoid using dark soy sauce as it has a very potent flavor.
- Shaoxing wine brings the authentic Chinese flavor. You can replace it with dry sherry, cooking sake, or if you’re avoiding alcohol, combine water and low-sodium chicken stock as a substitute.
Enjoy this delightful, quick, and savory dish that promises an authentic taste right at your home. Perfect for families and even impressing your guests on special occasions!