- Canned pumpkin
- Lemon zest
- Baking powder
- Saffron (optional, but provides a unique flavor)
- Canola or olive oil for frying
- Prepare the Batter: In a large mixing bowl, combine the canned pumpkin, flour, lemon zest, applesauce, baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined. If you decide to use saffron, you can add it at this stage.
- Heat the Oil: In a skillet or frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. The oil should be hot enough that a droplet of batter sizzles on contact.
- Fry the Fritters: Drop spoonfuls of the pumpkin batter into the hot oil. Fry each side until it turns a beautiful golden brown, which usually takes 2-3 minutes on each side. Monitor the heat and adjust as needed to ensure even cooking.
- Drain Excess Oil: After frying, place the fritters on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve and Enjoy: Serve the pumpkin fritters warm. They taste fantastic on their own, but feel free to dust them with powdered sugar or drizzle some maple syrup on top for extra sweetness.
- Ensure the oil is at the right temperature. If it’s too hot, the fritters will cook too fast on the outside and remain doughy on the inside. Too cold, and they’ll become soggy from soaking up too much oil.
- The saffron provides an exotic flavor, but if it’s not within your budget or you’re apprehensive about frying it, you can omit it.
- If you’re making a larger batch, remember that frying takes time and patience. You may need to adjust the cooking time based on the size of your fritters.
- The pumpkin fritters are a treat, so enjoy them in moderation. They’re perfect for special occasions, holidays, or when you’re craving something sweet and seasonal.
With these delicious pumpkin fritters, you can indulge in a tasty treat that captures the essence of fall. Enjoy the rich pumpkin flavor, hints of citrus from the lemon zest, and the delicate sweetness from the applesauce and optional saffron. They’re sure to be a hit!