Though named Portuguese Bean Soup, this comforting dish hails from Hawaii, combining smoked ham hocks, macaroni, kidney beans, various veggies, and the namesake, Portuguese sausage.
Why this Recipe Works:
- Flavor Depth: The smoked ham hocks infuse the soup with smokiness and richness.
- Texture Contrast: A medley of textures from tender meat, succulent sausage, macaroni, beans, and veggies.
- Balanced Nutrition: A nutritional punch from meat, beans, and a mix of vegetables.
- Versatility: Suitable for both regular dinners and special occasions.
- Portuguese Sausage (Linguiça or Chouriço)
- Smoked Ham Hocks
- Olive Oil
- Onion, Carrots, Celery, and Garlic (chopped)
- Tomato Sauce & Diced Tomatoes
- Waxy Potatoes (like yellow or red)
- Kidney Beans
- Elbow Macaroni
- Watercress (can be substituted with arugula or spinach)
- Broth Base: Boil ham hocks in three quarts of water. Reduce heat, simmer for 2 hours. Remove, cool, and separate meat from bones. Retain broth.
- Sausage: In a pot, brown the sliced sausage in olive oil. Remove and set aside.
- Veggies: Sauté onion, celery, carrots, and garlic until softened.
- Soup Formation: Combine broth, sausage, ham hock meat, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remaining Ingredients: Add and cook in stages:
- Potatoes (20 mins)
- Kidney beans and cabbage (20 mins)
- Macaroni (10-15 mins)
- Stir in watercress off heat.
6. Final Touches: Adjust salt to taste. Let it sit for 30 mins to meld flavors before serving.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
- Freezable for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight and reheat on stovetop.
- Broth: Allow ample time for ham hocks to infuse the broth.
- Stages: Adhere to the cooking timeline for best results.
- Deglazing: Use broth to deglaze the pot after browning sausage.
- Serving: Pair with crusty bread for an enhanced dining experience.
Enjoy a Hawaiian twist with this delightful soup that promises a burst of flavors and textures in every bite!