There’s a universal appeal to soups. Every culture cherishes it. This corn chowder, a vegan twist to the classic, promises warmth with its rich textures and a kick of spice from the chipotle peppers. Paired with fresh vegetables, this dish not only delivers a comforting meal but also a nutritious one.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 diced onion
- 3 roughly chopped garlic cloves
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 1 diced jalapeño
- 3 cups chopped Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 minced canned chipotle peppers (in adobo)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups frozen corn
- ½ cup soy milk
- Chopped red onion
- Chopped cilantro
- Diced red bell pepper
- Sliced jalapeños
- Starting the Soup: In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Veggie Sauté: Add the onion, garlic, red pepper, and jalapeño. Sauté for about 8 minutes, ensuring frequent stirring.
- Building the Base: Introduce the potatoes, cilantro, vegetable broth, chipotle peppers, cumin, salt, celery seeds, and smoked paprika. Let the mixture come to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes become tender.
- Adding Corn: Pour in the frozen corn and let it cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Creaminess with Soy Milk: Stir in the soy milk.
- Blending: With an immersion blender or a regular blender, blend roughly half of the soup to achieve a creamy yet chunky consistency.
- Garnish and Serve: Your plant-based chipotle corn chowder is now ready to delight. Pour it into bowls and garnish with red onion, cilantro, red pepper, and jalapeños, if you like.
- For customization, consider varying the type and amount of peppers based on your heat preference.
- Different plant-based milk types, such as oat, almond, cashew, or coconut milk, can also be used depending on your taste preference and desired consistency.
Serve with slices of crusty bread, cornbread, or corn muffins. Alternatively, a refreshing salad with ingredients like black beans, diced tomatoes, and a lime vinaigrette can complement the chowder’s rich flavors.