Once you’re familiar with patbingsu, you’ll crave it on a daily basis. This vibrant Korean shaved ice dessert is a sensory delight, promising cold, sweet, and fruity pleasures. It’s a dessert that you didn’t need to cook!
Whether it’s blazing hot outside or you’ve cranked up the heat inside, patbingsu is a sublime refresher. A perfect substitute for your regular ice cream, you can customize patbingsu to fit any taste preference. A fun idea is to create a patbingsu station, letting everyone customize their own.
- Crushed or Shaved Ice: While many Korean homes own an ice shaving machine, Watkins recommends the “double zipper baggie and meat mallet” technique as an efficient and therapeutic method to crush ice.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk & Red Beans: Easily found in Asian grocers (or Amazon), these are essential. Watkins suggests beginners use canned sweetened red beans.
- Fruits: Mango, strawberries, kiwi, and blueberries are recommended, but substitutions like pineapple, guava, or bananas can work just as well.
- Mini Mochi Ice Cream: Watkins swears by these bite-sized delights, recommending flavors like strawberry and mango.
- Mint Sprigs: A refreshing garnish to top off your dessert.
- Crush or shave ice.
- Set out 4 bowls and add 2 cups of ice to each. Shape the ice into a central mound using your hands.
- Condensed Milk Layer:
Drizzle each ice mound with 2 to 3 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk. Pop the bowls into the freezer for 5 minutes to allow the condensed milk to set slightly.
- Add the Toppings:
- Spoon the sweetened red beans over or around each ice mound.
- Customize with diced fruits (mango, strawberries, kiwi, blueberries).
- Finish with mini mochi ice creams and mint sprigs for garnish.
- Serve immediately.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
- 8 cups crushed or shaved ice
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup canned sweetened red beans
- 1 cup diced mango
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 cup diced kiwi
- 1 cup blueberries
- 8 mini mochi ice creams (pick your favorite flavors)
- Mint sprigs for garnish
- Allocate 2 cups of ice per bowl (total of 4 bowls). Form a mound in the center using your hands.
- Drizzle about 2-3 tablespoons of condensed milk over each ice mound. Chill the bowls in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with red beans, mango, strawberries, kiwi, and blueberries.
- Complete with mini mochi ice creams and fresh mint sprigs. Serve promptly.
- Calories: 492/serving
- Total Fat: 9.7g | Saturated Fat: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 34.2mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 87.8g | Dietary Fiber: 15.4g | Sugars: 54.6g
- Sodium: 132.3mg
- Protein: 18.0g
Patbingsu, with its delightful array of textures and flavors, offers a unique experience. Sweet, customizable, and fun to assemble, it’s a guaranteed hit for all ages. Enjoy this cool treat and explore the various flavors and textures it can offer!