Palak dal khichdi is an exemplary traditional Indian dish, representing the perfect blend of protein-rich lentils, earthy rice, and nutrient-packed spinach. This vegan, gluten-free delicacy is not only beneficial for health but is also light on the pocket, emphasizing the beauty of simple cooking.
- Complex Carbohydrates: The combination of rice and lentils offers complex carbs that ensure a steady energy release.
- Rich in Vitamins and Minerals: Spinach provides ample amounts of vitamins A and C.
- Dietary Fiber: Both lentils and spinach are good sources of dietary fiber aiding in digestion and cholesterol control.
- Protein Source: Lentils are packed with protein essential for tissue repair and building.
- Metabolism and Immunity: The spices not only add flavor but boost metabolism, combat inflammation, and bolster the immune system.
- Rice: 1 cup
- Moong Dal: 1/2 cup
- Spinach (chopped): 2 cups
- Onion (finely chopped): 1
- Tomato: 1
- Garlic (minced): 2-3 cloves
- Ginger (grated): 1-inch piece
- Green Chilli (chopped): 1
- Cumin Seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: To taste
- Water: 3 cups (adjustable)
- Ghee or Oil: 2 tbsp
- Cilantro Leaves: For garnish
- Wash rice and lentils separately. Soak rice for 30 minutes and then drain. Set lentils aside.
- Heat ghee/oil in a pressure cooker or pot. Add cumin seeds until they splutter.
- Sauté onions till they turn translucent. Add minced garlic, ginger, and green chilli and sauté for a minute.
- Add tomatoes and cook till soft.
- Stir in the salt, turmeric, cumin, and coriander powders, ensuring they mix well with the onion-tomato blend.
- Introduce the soaked rice and lentils to the pot and mix.
- Add spinach and stir until it wilts.
- Pour in the water and mix well.
- If using a pressure cooker, cook for 3-4 whistles on medium heat. If using a pot, ensure the rice and lentils turn soft.
- Once cooked, open the lid, adjust consistency if required.
- Serve hot, garnished with fresh cilantro leaves.
This comforting dish is perfect for those seeking a nourishing meal that’s both delicious and beneficial for health. Whether it’s a cold winter day or just a regular meal, palak dal khichdi is a heartwarming choice.