Who can resist the allure of a quick yet utterly delicious treat? Especially when it involves the universally adored hazelnut spread – Nutella. Using a mere three ingredients, these Nutella filo pastries are perfect for satiating that sudden sweet craving.
- 150g/5ozs butter
- 12 sheets filo pastry
- 12 teaspoons Nutella
- Preparation: Begin by taking the filo pastry out of the fridge. Let it acclimatize to room temperature while still in its packaging.
- Freeze the Nutella: On a parchment-lined tray, spoon out 12 teaspoons of Nutella. Freeze these dollops until they’re firm, which should take about 15 minutes.
- Brown the Butter: In a saucepan, heat the butter. Let it foam and emit a nutty aroma. Strain out any solids, leaving behind clarified, golden brown butter.
- Preheat & Prepare: Preheat your oven to 180C/350F (fan forced). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Filo Prep: Keep the filo sheets covered under a damp tea towel. Lay one sheet lengthwise and brush with the clarified butter. Fold the pastry accordion-style, making pleats. Create an upside-down horseshoe shape and fan out one end to make space for the Nutella.
- Assemble: Place a frozen Nutella dollop at the fanned end. Roll the pastry up into a crescent or parcel shape.
- Baking: Generously brush the tops of the pastries with more butter. Bake for 30 minutes. Optionally, you can dust them with powdered sugar once they’re out of the oven.
- Serve: Enjoy these pastries best with a cup of Nutella hot chocolate!
Notes & Tips:
- Always let your filo pastry come to room temperature before using.
- Fresh filo pastry is recommended over already opened packs.
- Ensure the Nutella is firm for easy rolling.
- For a deeper flavor, you can brown your butter till it acquires a nutty scent.
These pastries are a delightful treat, perfect for an afternoon snack or even as a fancy yet easy-to-make dessert for gatherings. The crispy filo, combined with the creamy Nutella, ensures that each bite is a delightful play of textures and flavors. Don’t forget to share your culinary creations by tagging @notquitenigella on Instagram with the hashtag #notquitenigella! 📸🥧❤️