This delightful gluten-free clam chowder captures the essence of New England, with an Oregon twist. Hearty and flavorful, it’s perfect for cozy evenings or a beach day adventure!
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour mix (e.g., Trader Joe’s gluten-free flour mix)
- 4 large or 5 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces clam juice (1 bottle)
- 2-3 (6 ounce) cans of chopped clams (reserve the liquid)
- 3 cups milk (any %)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2-4 tablespoons gluten-free flour mix or cornstarch (for thickening, if needed)
- Salt and pepper to taste (approximately 1-1/2 teaspoons of each)
- Bacon: In a large stockpot, cook the chopped bacon over medium heat until crispy. Once done, remove the bacon and set it aside. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings from the pot.
- Vegetables: Add the chopped onion and celery to the pot and sauté over medium heat until they are tender.
- Roux: Add butter and 2 tablespoons of gluten-free flour mix to the pot, stirring until well incorporated.
- Potatoes: Incorporate the diced potatoes, salt, pepper, clam juice, and the liquid from the canned clams. Simmer on medium heat until the potatoes are tender, ensuring they do not overcook or they might turn into mashed potatoes.
- Milk & Seasoning: Reduce the heat. Add in the milk, heavy cream, thyme, and previously cooked bacon. Stir well. Remember not to let the chowder boil at this point.
- Clams: Stir in the chopped clams, ensuring not to overcook them, or they will become rubbery.
- Thickening: If you prefer a thicker chowder, create a slurry by mixing gluten-free flour mix or cornstarch with a little water. Slowly add this to the pot, stirring continuously until you reach your desired consistency.
- Serving: Taste the chowder and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve warm.
Prepare the chowder, pour it into a large thermos, and head out for a beach day. Especially since North County seems to be having some warm days. Enjoy your meal with the sound of waves in the background. Cheers!