Microwave Steamed Broccoli offer convenient and delicious options for people looking to make the most out of seasonal ingredients and save time in the kitchen.
Basic Method for Steaming Broccoli in the Microwave:
- Preparation: Peel and chop the broccoli into florets.
- Microwave: Place the broccoli in a microwave-safe dish, add a splash of water, and cover with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap. Make sure to leave a small vent.
- Cooking: Microwave on high for 2 minutes, stir, then microwave again for 2-4 minutes or until the broccoli reaches your desired level of tenderness.
Enhancing the Flavor:
- You can season your steamed broccoli with salt and either olive oil or butter for a richer flavor.
- For more adventurous eaters, you can add toppings like lemon zest, Parmesan cheese, chili flakes, or toasted breadcrumbs.
Tips for the Best Results:
- Make sure to cut the broccoli into evenly sized pieces for uniform cooking.
- Always start with a 2-minute burst in the microwave to check for doneness, adjusting the cooking time as needed.
Storage and Reheating:
- Leftover steamed broccoli can be stored in the fridge for 3-5 days or frozen for up to 6 months.
- To reheat, simply use the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Classic Garlic and Lemon: Sauté the steamed broccoli with some garlic and finish it off with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Cheesy Delight: Add some grated Parmesan or cheddar cheese on top of the hot broccoli.
- Spicy Kick: Use red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper for a spicy variation.
- Nutty Sesame: A combination of soy sauce, sesame oil, and sesame seeds gives a delightful Asian twist.
- Creamy Mustard: A drizzle of a Dijon mustard and honey mix can make your steamed broccoli even more interesting.
This guide not only shows you how to steam broccoli but also gives you the tools to be creative and make the dish your own. Very well-done!