Mango Lassi is a beloved Indian beverage that combines ripe mangoes with yogurt, offering a sweet, creamy, and refreshing escape from the heat. Traditionally enjoyed in hot climates, it’s an absolute treat for your taste buds. Perfect for anyone looking for a low-sugar option, this recipe can be easily adjusted to suit your taste.
Mango Lassi Recipe
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled and pitted (or 1 cup of canned mango pulp)
- 1 cup low-fat or full-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup cold water or milk (for thinning)
- 1-2 tablespoons of honey or a sugar substitute (adjust to taste)
- A pinch of ground cardamom (optional)
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Preparation: Peel and pit the mango, cutting it into smaller chunks.
- Blend: Place the mango chunks, yogurt, water or milk, and honey into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Taste and Adjust: Sample the lassi and adjust the sweetness by adding more honey or sugar substitute if needed. If you prefer a thinner consistency, add a little more water or milk and blend again.
- Add Flavors: If you’re using cardamom, add a pinch for extra aroma and flavor. Blend for another 10 seconds to mix well.
- Serve: Pour the lassi into glasses. If you’re using ice, add it to the glass before pouring the lassi.
- Garnish: You can garnish with a small slice of mango or a mint leaf for a touch of color and extra flavor.
- Coconut Milk: For a tropical twist, replace half of the yogurt with coconut milk.
- Saffron: A few strands for garnish and flavor.
- Nuts: Chopped almonds or pistachios sprinkled on top add crunch and visual appeal.
- Low-Sugar Option: For a low-sugar version, opt for a sugar substitute and check the sugar content in your yogurt.
- Vegan Option: Use plant-based yogurt to make this lassi vegan-friendly.
There you have it! This Mango Lassi is not just an embodiment of summer but also a healthy, refreshing beverage that’s super easy to make. Enjoy!