These lemony artichoke crostini offer a refreshing twist on the classic appetizer. The combination of artichokes and lemon provides a bright and tangy flavor that pairs wonderfully with the crunch of toasted bread. Not only are they delightful to taste, but they’re also vegan-friendly and perfect for those with dietary restrictions.
- 1 fresh lemon
- 2 15-ounce cans of artichokes, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 loaf baguette (or ciabatta or sourdough for a more substantial bread size)
- Preheat the Oven: Set your oven to 400 F.
- Preparation: Zest the lemon and then extract 2 teaspoons of its juice.
- Blending: In a food processor, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, artichokes, pine nuts, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Pulse the mixture 15-20 times, ensuring you don’t over-process into a paste.
- Final Touches: Transfer the mixture into a bowl, and stir in the minced chives.
- Prepare the Bread: Cut the baguette into ½-inch slices and lay them out on a baking sheet.
- Toasting: Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 6-8 minutes until the bread is toasted and lightly browned.
- Topping: Once out of the oven, top each bread slice with a generous amount of the artichoke mixture.
- Serve & Enjoy: Present your delicious lemony artichoke crostini and watch them disappear!
You can play around with the flavors and textures:
- Variety: Use the lemony artichoke mixture as a base and top with kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, or capers.
- Herbs: Garnish with fresh basil, mint, or oregano for added flavor.
- Nuts & Seeds: Add toasted pine nuts, slivered almonds, or hemp seeds for an extra crunch.
- Vegetables: Roasted or grilled zucchini, bell peppers, or cherry tomatoes can make a colorful addition.
- Spice: Add red pepper flakes or a drizzle of hot sauce for those who like it hot.
The crostini pairs well with:
- Raw Veggies: Carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers, celery.
- Dips: Different flavors of hummus or guacamole.
- Olives: A mix of Kalamata and green olives can add a briny touch.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
- Calories: 323
- Total Fat: 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0.0 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 43.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 9.6 g
- Total Sugars: 4.5 g
- Sodium: 517.6 mg
- Protein: 11.8 g
This lemony artichoke crostini recipe is naturally vegan and makes for a perfect appetizer, especially during the holiday season. Enjoy!