This Leek & Potato Soup is the epitome of comfort. Using fresh, local ingredients, this soup is not only nourishing but also reflects the heartiness of Irish cuisine. Simple to prepare and deliciously creamy, it’s perfect for those chilly evenings or when you need a touch of home.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
- 50g butter
- 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 leeks, thoroughly washed and sliced
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 250ml milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start with Vegetables: In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped potatoes, sliced onions, and leeks. Stir them in the butter until they’re well-coated.
- Sweat the Vegetables: Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a lid, and let the vegetables sweat for about ten minutes, or until they become soft.
- Add the Stock: Pour in the vegetable stock to the pot, and turn up the heat until the mixture starts to simmer. Once simmering, let it bubble gently for about fifteen minutes.
- Add the Milk: Stir in the milk and continue cooking for another five minutes.
- Blend: After the soup has cooled down slightly, use an immersion blender to puree the soup until it’s smooth. For an ultra-silky texture, blend for at least five minutes — this might seem long, but it’s worth the wait!
- Season: Taste the soup and season it with salt and pepper as per your preference.
Serve the soup hot with some crusty bread on the side. It’s a wholesome meal that’s sure to warm your heart and soul. Enjoy your taste of Ireland!