Transform the classic appetizer into a heartwarming, creamy soup! Filled with the flavors of bacon, jalapenos, and creamy cheese, this jalapeno popper soup is the perfect comfort dish for cooler days.
- Bacon, chopped
- Jalapenos, deseeded
- Onion, diced
- Garlic, minced
- All-Purpose Flour
- Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- Half and Half
- Yukon Gold Potatoes, chopped
- Cream Cheese, softened
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Toppings: jalapenos (sliced), bacon, green onion, shredded cheese (for garnish)
- Prepare the Base: In a large Dutch oven or pot, cook the bacon until crispy. Reserve some bacon grease.
- Sauté Veggies: Add jalapenos and onions to the pot. Cook until tender.
- Add Aromatics: Stir in garlic and cook briefly.
- Thicken the Soup: Sprinkle in flour, stirring to form a paste.
- Add Liquids: Pour in chicken broth and half and half, whisking until well combined.
- Boil Potatoes: Add potatoes and boil until they are tender.
- Make It Creamy: Off the heat, stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese until melted.
- Season and Serve: Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with toppings and serve hot.
Slow Cooker Method:
Sauté bacon, then transfer to a slow cooker. Add other ingredients (except for the cheese) and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in the cheeses at the end.
Instant Pot Method:
Use the sauté mode for bacon and veggies. Add the rest of the ingredients, seal, and pressure cook for 8-10 minutes. Quick release, then stir in the cheeses.
- Refrigerator: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: Store in a freezer-safe bag for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
Enjoy this creamy, spicy, and comforting twist on a beloved appetizer! Perfect for cold evenings when you want to feel warm and satisfied.