Embrace the warmth of this Italian sausage and butternut squash stew that’s not only hearty but gluten-free and dairy-free as well! A perfect blend of flavors and textures that will have your home smelling delightful and your belly feeling satisfied.
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Vegetable oil: 2 tbsp. (30 ml)
- Carrots (diced): 2 cups (500 ml)
- Onion (chopped): 1 ½ cups (375 ml)
- Garlic (chopped): 2 cloves
- Chorizo (gluten-free and dairy-free, finely diced): 40 g (¼ cup/60 ml)
- Italian sausages (gluten-free and dairy-free): 8 (approx. 800 g or 1 ¾ lb)
- Fresh cilantro sprigs (or parsley sprigs, finely chopped): ⅓ cup (80 ml)
- Dried oregano: 1 tsp. (5 ml)
- Paprika: 1 tsp. (5 ml)
- Cumin: ½ tsp. (2.5 ml)
- Whole tomatoes (canned): 796 ml
- Gluten-free beer: 1 ½ cups (375 ml)
- Chicken broth: 1 cup (250 ml)
- Tomato paste: 2 tbsp. (30 ml)
- Potatoes (cubed): 2 cups (500 ml)
- Quebec butternut squash (cubed): 2 cups (500 ml)
- Salt: ½ tsp. (2.5 ml)
- Pepper: To taste
- Fresh cilantro (chopped, for garnish)
- Avocado (cubed, optional for garnish)
- Heat your Dutch oven over medium heat. Drizzle in the vegetable oil and start by sautéing the carrots, onion, garlic, and chorizo for roughly 8 minutes. Make sure to stir them occasionally for even cooking.
- It’s time for the sausages. Discard their casings and add the meat to the pot. Break it apart using a wooden spoon and let it cook and brown for around 5 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Immerse your senses in the aromatic blend of coriander, oregano, paprika, and cumin by adding them next. Let them cook and release their fragrance for a minute.
- Pour in the whole tomatoes, beer, chicken broth, and tomato paste. Follow by adding in the hearty potatoes and the butternut squash. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover your Dutch oven and let everything cook together for about 50 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when the vegetables are tender and flavors melded.
Pour your stew into bowls. Garnish with fresh cilantro and optionally with avocado cubes. Pair it with a slice of gluten-free bread or a fresh green salad on the side.
Take a moment to relish in the amalgamation of the savory sausage, the sweetness of the butternut squash, and the richness of the sauce. It’s a perfect recipe to enjoy the cozy vibes of fall.