As the autumn winds beckon and the temperatures begin to dip, many of us crave the comforting embrace of our favorite fall-flavored drinks. One such beloved beverage is the Pumpkin Spice Latte, or PSL. Starbucks’ iteration of this drink has been warming hearts for over two decades, with its blend of sweet pumpkin and spicy notes making it the most sought-after seasonal offering.
Wouldn’t it be fantastic to recreate this classic at home? Here’s a simple guide, courtesy of Starbucks:
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons of nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons of pumpkin purée
- 1 cup of milk (whole milk or any nondairy milk)
- 1 ounce of espresso
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Pumpkin pie spice for garnish
- Prepare the Pumpkin Spice Syrup: In a saucepan, simmer sugar and water. Once dissolved, add cinnamon sticks, ground cloves, ground ginger, nutmeg, and pumpkin purée. Simmer for 20 minutes. Strain through cheesecloth.
- Heat the Milk: Warm up 1 cup of milk of your choice, ensuring it’s well frothed. If you’re unsure how, Starbucks offers a method with a saucepan and coffee press.
- Brew the Espresso: Make a shot of espresso using either an espresso machine, a traditional stovetop mokapot, or a Starbucks by Nespresso capsule machine.
- Mix the Drink: In a mug, mix 3 tablespoons of your homemade pumpkin spice syrup with the espresso.
- Finish Off: Add the frothed milk to the mug till it’s ¾ full. Crown with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice for that added touch of autumn.
Iced Pumpkin Cold Brew
Embrace the fall spirit with this cold brew infused with the essence of pumpkin.
Serving: 2 | 4 | 6
- Oat milk
- Pumpkin puree
- Maple syrup
- Pumpkin spice
- Blend the Flavors: Mix oat milk, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and pumpkin spice in a blender until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- Serve: Take a glass filled with ice and pour in the cold brew, leaving some space. Top up with the blended mixture. Garnish with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.
Relish in the harmony of spicy and sweet, all the while cozying up in the comfort of your home. Happy brewing!