Warm up on a chilly day with this delightful and rich hot buttered cider recipe. The blend of apple cider, butter, and aromatic spices will surely soothe your senses. And if you’re feeling adventurous, add in your preferred shot of liquor!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon cold salted butter, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional for stirring and flavor)
- Start by heating the apple cider. You can do this in a heatproof measuring cup using a microwave or use a small saucepan over medium heat. Continue until it gets steamy.
- In your chosen mug, combine half of the butter, maple syrup, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Pour a little of the hot apple cider into the mug. This will soften the butter.
- Use the back of a spoon to mix the butter with the spices until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- Pour in the rest of the hot cider.
- Stir the mixture. If you’re using a cinnamon stick, this is the perfect time to use it for stirring. It will also give an additional layer of flavor.
- To finish off, float the remaining half of the butter on top.
- Serve your hot buttered cider while it’s still warm and enjoy every sip!
Nutritional Information (per serving):
- Calories: 253
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Cholesterol: 31 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Sodium: 113 mg
- Sugar: 34 g
If you’re in the mood for an adult version, add a shot of rum or bourbon to give it an extra kick!