Greek spinach pie, often known as “Spanakopita,” is a delicious savory pastry made with layers of crispy phyllo dough filled with a mixture of spinach, feta cheese, onions, and various seasonings. It’s a popular dish in Greek cuisine and is loved for its combination of flavors and textures. Here’s a basic recipe to make Greek spinach pie:
For the Filling:
- 1 pound fresh spinach, rinsed and chopped (you can also use frozen spinach, thawed and drained)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried dill)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Phyllo Layers:
- 1 package of phyllo dough (usually 16 sheets), thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Prepare the Filling:
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and green onions and sauté until they become translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the chopped spinach to the skillet, a little at a time, and sauté until it wilts and any excess moisture evaporates. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from heat and let the spinach mixture cool.
- Once cooled, stir in the crumbled feta cheese, chopped dill, and chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Assemble the Pie:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Brush a 9×13-inch baking dish with melted butter.
- Carefully unroll the phyllo dough and place one sheet in the baking dish. Brush it with melted butter. Repeat this process, layering and buttering each sheet, until you have about 8 sheets layered on the bottom.
3. Add the Spinach Filling:
- Spread the spinach and feta filling evenly over the phyllo layers.
4. Top with More Phyllo:
- Continue layering the remaining phyllo sheets on top of the spinach mixture, brushing each sheet with melted butter. Make sure to tuck in any excess phyllo around the edges.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the unbaked pie into squares or diamonds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes, or until the phyllo is golden brown and crisp.
- Remove the spinach pie from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Spanakopita can be served warm or at room temperature.
Enjoy your homemade Greek spinach pie! It’s a perfect appetizer, side dish, or even a light meal when paired with a fresh salad.