The Hemingway Daiquiri is a delightful deviation from the classic daiquiri, taking its inspiration from the illustrious writer, Ernest Hemingway. While the traditional version is a blend of rum, lime juice, and simple syrup, the Hemingway iteration infuses grapefruit juice and replaces the simple syrup with maraschino liqueur. The resulting drink, reminiscent of Hemingway’s other iconic cocktail, “Death In The Afternoon,” is low in sugar. The true reasons behind this may remain a mystery, but some suggest Hemingway aimed to reduce sugar in his diet.
This drink features the maraschino liqueur’s distinctive tartness, paired with a faint cherry sweetness. For this rendition, white grapefruit is used, especially “Oro blanco grapefruits,” to lend a less bitter and more aromatic flavor.
- 2 ounces white rum
- ¾ ounces fresh lime juice
- ½ ounces fresh white grapefruit juice
- ¼ ounces maraschino liqueur
- Lime wheel (for garnishing)
- Prepare Ingredients: Ensure all your ingredients are at hand. For the rum, a white rum is preferable. The maraschino liqueur is key; while there are multiple brands available, Luxardo is common and widely available. The drink’s citrus element comes from a mix of lime and grapefruit juices. Freshly squeezed is best, but if in a rush, bottled versions will do. Ensure you have ice and a shaker ready.
- Combining the Alcohol: Take your shaker and a jigger. Pour the rum into the jigger and subsequently into the shaker. Follow with the maraschino liqueur.
- Adding Citrus: Measure and add both the lime and grapefruit juices to the shaker.
- Shake It Up: Fill the shaker with ice. Shake until the shaker’s exterior frosts, typically around 15 seconds.
- Serving: Using a strainer, pour the shaken mix into a chilled glass. If preparing for more than one, divide accordingly. Top the drink off with a lime wheel or lime zest curl, or any citrus garnish of your liking.
The Hemingway Daiquiri, while superb on its own, pairs well with salty treats, including roasted nuts, marinated olives, or chips. For a fuller meal, consider fresh seafood dishes like fish ceviche or grilled chicken tacos to accompany this drink.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories: 165
- Total Fat: 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.0 g
- Trans Fat: 0.0 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 6.1 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.3 g
- Total Sugars: 4.0 g
- Sodium: 1.8 mg
- Protein: 0.2 g
Raise your glasses to a drink inspired by one of literature’s greats and enjoy!