Elevate your breakfast game with this Hawaiian Roll French Toast. Not just any French toast, this version is made with the sweet and soft Hawaiian rolls. And to make it even more indulgent, they’re filled with a creamy blend of cream cheese and jam. Breakfast just got a lot more interesting!
For the Toast and Custard:
- Hawaiian Rolls (such as King’s Hawaiian or Martin’s) – Create a pocket in each for the filling.
- Milk (whole milk recommended, but can adjust to taste) & Eggs for the custard.
- Sugar (white granulated or brown sugar)
- Vanilla Extract
- Cinnamon & Nutmeg
- A pinch of Salt
- Cream Cheese (softened)
- Jam (any flavor, though pineapple is highly recommended)
- Powdered Sugar
- Maple Syrup
- Prepare the Custard – In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until smooth and combined.
- Fry the Rolls – Heat a skillet with butter over medium heat. Dip each Hawaiian roll in the custard mix, ensuring it’s coated but not drenched. Fry each side until golden, roughly 30-45 seconds per side.
- Prepare the Filling – Mix softened cream cheese with your chosen jam. Once combined, transfer to a piping bag. If you don’t have one, a Ziploc bag with a corner snipped off works too.
- Fill the Rolls – Carefully create a slit in each roll without cutting through. Pipe the cream cheese-jam mixture into each roll.
- Serve – Once filled, sprinkle powdered sugar over each piece, drizzle with maple syrup, and serve while warm.
- Ensure rolls are soaked just right. Too long and they’ll turn soggy, too short and they won’t be moist enough.
- Maintain a medium heat to ensure even cooking and a crispy exterior.
- Keep cooked rolls warm in a 200°F oven as you finish the batch.
- Revive stale rolls by lightly toasting them before dipping in custard.
- For a tropical twist, accompany with fresh pineapple slices, whipped coconut cream, and shredded coconut.
- Fancy something savory? Remove sugar and spices from the custard, and fill with a cream cheese and bacon bits mixture.
- Health-conscious? Opt for whole grain rolls and replace cream cheese with Greek yogurt mixed with honey.
Storage & Reheating:
- Best enjoyed fresh. If storing, keep unfilled rolls refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in microwave or oven (350°F for 10-15 mins).
- Can be frozen for up to 3 months. Reheat using above methods.
Break the monotony of regular breakfasts with this luxurious Hawaiian Roll French Toast. Whether it’s a weekend brunch or just a day you feel like indulging, this recipe is sure to become a favorite. Enjoy!