For the sausages:
- Three pork sausages
- Three peeled garlic cloves
- Two rosemary sprigs
For the potatoes:
- Three chopped and peeled potatoes
- One tablespoon of grained mustard
- Chopped chives
- Olive oil
For the caramelised onion gravy:
- One sliced red onion
- One teaspoon of sugar
- Three tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Two teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- Four tablespoons of beef stock or stock cubes
Kitchen equipment needed:
- Oven-proof frying pan
- Another frying pan
- Cocktail sticks
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F) and bring a pot of water to boil. Ensure the pot is filled enough to cover the potatoes.
- Wash, peel, and chop the potatoes and add them to the boiling water.
- In an oven-proof frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once heated, add the sausages. To prevent the sausages from bursting, use a cocktail stick to poke them.
- Add garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs to the pan. Add four knobs of butter and brown the sausages. Baste the sausages for added flavor. Add another knob of butter and transfer the pan to the oven.
- For the caramelised onion gravy: In another pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add sliced red onions and cook for about a minute. Add sugar, season with salt, and add four knobs of butter. Once the butter has melted, pour balsamic vinegar until onions are covered. Add Worcestershire sauce and reduce the heat. Once reduced, add beef stock and bring it to boil. Reduce the mixture.
- For the mashed potatoes: Once they are soft and fork-tender, drain them. Transfer to a pot and mash them over medium heat, intermittently taking them off the heat.
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil to the mashed potatoes and mix well. Reduce heat, add mustard, chives, and season with salt. Mix well.
Serve the sausages over the mashed potatoes and top with caramelised onion gravy. Enjoy your meal!