Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 8-10 sausages (your choice, but pork or beef work well)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14 oz.) of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 can (14 oz.) of cannellini beans or any white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika or regular paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Browning the Sausages:
- In a large pot or casserole dish, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until they’re browned on all sides. Once browned, remove the sausages and set them aside on a plate.
2. Sautéing the Vegetables:
- In the same pot, add the sliced onions. Sauté until they’re translucent.
- Add the minced garlic, sliced carrots, and chopped bell pepper. Sauté for another 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are slightly tender.
3. Building the Casserole:
- Return the browned sausages to the pot.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes (with their juice) and broth. Stir in the paprika, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
4. Adding the Beans:
- Stir in the drained beans and let the casserole cook for another 10 minutes, uncovered, until the beans are heated through and the sausages are fully cooked.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
- Serve the sausage casserole hot, preferably with crusty bread or mashed potatoes on the side.
This easy sausage casserole is very versatile. You can add other vegetables like mushrooms or zucchini or even add a splash of red wine for a richer flavor. The recipe is also freezer-friendly; simply let it cool completely before transferring it to freezer-safe containers.
Enjoy this warm, hearty dish on a chilly evening or whenever you’re in the mood for some comfort food!