Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Serves: About 8 cups
This vegan macaroni salad boasts an unexpected sweetness from the inclusion of Gala apples, giving it a delightful edge over traditional pasta salads. With the heartiness of whole wheat macaroni and the creaminess derived from cannellini beans, this dish is perfect for those who desire a vegan option that doesn’t compromise on flavor or texture. Enhanced with fresh dill, kale, and celery, every bite delivers a perfect blend of textures and flavors, making it an ideal choice for lunches or potluck gatherings.
- 2 cups dry whole wheat macaroni, cooked, drained, and cooled
- 2 15-oz. cans no-salt-added cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (3 cups), aquafaba reserved
- ½ cup dill pickle juice
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups packed chopped kale leaves
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 medium Gala apple, cored and finely chopped (1 cup)
- ¾ cup thinly sliced baby dill pickles
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 1 tablespoon dried dill
- Pasta Preparation: Cook the whole wheat macaroni according to the instructions given on the package. Once done, drain the water and allow the macaroni to cool.
- Dressing Preparation: In your blender, combine the drained cannellini beans, ¼ cup of aquafaba, and the subsequent five ingredients (till pepper). Blend until the mixture turns creamy and smooth. Depending on your taste preference, you can adjust the consistency and flavor by adding more aquafaba, pickle juice, or lemon juice.
- Combining Ingredients: Take a large mixing bowl and toss in the remaining ingredients. Pour the prepared dressing over these ingredients and give it a thorough mix. Now, introduce the cooled pasta to this mix, ensuring that the pasta gets evenly coated with the dressing.
- Garnishing: For an additional burst of flavor, you can garnish the macaroni salad with extra freshly chopped dill before serving.
The creamy dill pickle macaroni salad can be served chilled, making it refreshing during summer months. Its vibrant flavors develop more if allowed to meld overnight, so consider making it a day ahead for best results. Pair with grilled veggies or a fresh green salad for a complete meal. Enjoy your scrumptious vegan delight!