Eggplant dal is a creamy, spiced lentil stew inspired by the Indian masoor dal. It’s a combination of eggplant with aromatic spices that’s both comforting and full of flavor. This dish takes only 40 minutes to prepare and promises a heartwarming meal, perfect for any day.
- Total time needed: 40 minutes
- Serves: 4 people
- Main ingredients: eggplant, red lentils, and aromatic spices
- 1/4 cup neutral oil, like safflower or canola
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and black pepper for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon each of minced garlic and fresh ginger
- 1 serrano chile, finely chopped (red or green)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 cup rinsed red lentils
- Chopped cilantro, basmati rice, or naan for serving
- Using a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat and sauté onion and eggplant seasoned with salt and pepper. Cook until the eggplant softens.
- Add water to the pot, deglaze, and once water is absorbed, transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Melt ghee in the pot. Sauté garlic, ginger, chile, cumin seeds, and coriander until aromatic.
- Add tomatoes and continue to cook until they break down.
- Reintroduce the eggplant mixture to the pot.
- Pour in lentils and water, seasoning with salt and pepper. Bring it to a boil, then let it simmer covered until lentils are tender.
- Season again if necessary, and serve the dal in bowls. Garnish with cilantro and pair with rice or naan.
This Eggplant dal brings out the rich and fragrant flavors of traditional Indian dishes, with the creamy texture of lentils complemented by the silkiness of the eggplant. It’s a delightful culinary experience, suitable for both everyday meals and special occasions.