Jalapeno poppers are a favorite appetizer for many, offering a combination of creamy cheese, spicy jalapenos, and a crispy breadcrumb coating. Here’s a classic recipe for these delicious treats.
Servings: 24 poppers
- 12 fresh jalapeno peppers
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- Preparation: Start by preheating your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Prepare the Peppers: Cut the jalapenos in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and membranes. Make sure to wear gloves to avoid any accidental contact with eyes or skin.
- Cheese Filling: In a mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Stuff the Peppers: Generously fill each jalapeno half with the cream cheese mixture.
- Breadcrumb Coating: Roll the stuffed jalapenos in the breadcrumbs, making sure each one is well-coated.
- Bake: Arrange the breaded jalapeno poppers on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Ensure they are spaced out evenly.
- Cooking: Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the jalapenos are golden brown and the cheese filling is bubbly.
- Cool and Serve: Once baked, remove the poppers from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. Serve while warm and enjoy!
Variations to Spice Up Your Snacking:
- Bacon-Wrapped: Before baking, wrap each popper in half a slice of bacon. Secure with a toothpick if needed.
- Stuffed with Sausage: Mix cooked and crumbled breakfast sausage into the cream cheese mixture for an extra layer of flavor.
- Cornmeal Crusted: Substitute the breadcrumbs with cornmeal for a different texture and flavor.
Enjoy these spicy, cheesy, and crispy jalapeno poppers at your next gathering or as a snack any time you crave something delicious!