The arrival of the colder months beckons for the aroma of baked apples wafting through the house. This Apple Crisp, with a delightful oatmeal cookie topping, serves just that — and more. It’s not just any apple dessert; it combines the traditional comfort of apples with the ingenious touch of an oatmeal cookie, making it a staple for any gathering.
For the Apple Filling:
- 3 cooking apples (Granny Smiths are my go-to for that tart kick), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (adjust based on your love for cinnamon)
- 1/4 cup cold butter, diced into tiny bits
For the Crispy Topping:
- 1 pouch of Betty Crocker oatmeal cookie mix (the secret to a quick and delightful crunch)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted to a golden liquid
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped (for that rustic texture)
- Setup: Begin by preheating your oven to a toasty 300°F (150°C). Lightly spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray, ensuring all corners are covered.
- Filling First: In a medium-sized bowl, combine the apple slices, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Toss until each apple slice is generously coated. Transfer this apple mixture to your prepared pan, spreading them out evenly.
- Topping Time: In the same bowl you used for the apples (because why create more dishes?), mix together the oatmeal cookie mix and the melted butter. You’re looking for a crumbly texture. Evenly sprinkle this over your layer of apples.
- Baking: Slide the pan into the oven and bake for a good 40 minutes. After this, scatter the chopped pecans over the top and continue to bake for another 15-20 minutes. You want a golden-brown crust and a bubbly apple filling.
Best served warm. Consider pairing with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a heavenly experience!
Apple Crisp, Quick Dessert, Oatmeal Cookie Topping, Fall Treats, Granny Smith Apples, Easy Baking.