Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
This soup is a quick and comforting dish, perfect for weeknight dinners. It takes a spin on the classic chicken noodle soup, introducing creamy tortellini pockets. No need for separate pre-cooking – the tortellini cooks right within the soup pot, absorbing the rich flavors and thickening the soup naturally.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 qt. chicken broth
- 3 1/2 c. shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 (20-ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
- Grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a medium Dutch oven over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables start to soften, which takes about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Cook until the mixture becomes fragrant, which should take about a minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth and let it come to a boil. Then, introduce the chicken and tortellini. Let the mix simmer until the chicken has warmed up and the tortellini is tender. This should take between 3 to 5 minutes.
- To finish, sprinkle the soup with fresh parsley. Serve hot and top with grated parmesan cheese as desired.
Bonus Tip: For a touch of greens and zest, consider adding 3 cups of baby spinach and a squeeze of lemon juice to the soup!
Enjoy this warming, hearty soup with a side of garlic bread or a fresh salad!