Celebrate modern British cooking with these hearty and delicious pot pies filled with succulent chicken, chestnut mushrooms, and artichokes in a creamy mustard-flavored sauce.
- 750g chicken thigh fillets
- 500ml chicken stock
- 5 black peppercorns
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 200g baby chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 2 banana shallots, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150g chargrilled artichoke hearts, quartered
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 1tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1tbsp tarragon, finely chopped
- 100ml crème fraîche
- 1tbsp sherry vinegar
- 500g packet ready-made puff pastry
- 1 large free-range egg, lightly beaten with a pinch of salt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Prepare the Chicken: In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring the chicken stock, peppercorns, thyme, and bay leaves to a simmer. Add chicken thigh fillets, reduce heat, and gently simmer for 15–20 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
- Sauté Vegetables: In a separate pan, heat olive oil, add mushrooms, and cook for two minutes. Stir in shallots and garlic, cooking for an additional 3-4 minutes or until softened. Off the heat, fold in artichokes. Transfer the poached chicken from stock to a tray and strain the stock. Allow both to cool.
- Prepare the Sauce: In a saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour, cooking for two minutes. Gradually whisk in the chicken stock until sauce thickens over medium heat. Incorporate both mustards, tarragon, crème fraîche, sherry vinegar, and the mushroom mixture.
- Combine Chicken and Sauce: Cut the poached chicken into bite-sized pieces and mix with the sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Evenly distribute the pie filling into four individual pie dishes and refrigerate to chill.
- Prepare the Pastry: Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface to a 5mm thickness. Cut four rounds, each 2cm wider than the pie dishes. Brush edges with the egg wash. Lay each pastry round over a pie dish, egg-washed edge down. Brush tops with remaining egg wash and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Bake: Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6. Cut slits in each pastry lid to allow steam to escape. Bake pies for 30 minutes or until pastry is crisp and deep golden brown. Let stand for a few minutes.
Serve with green vegetables and mashed potatoes, if desired.
Enjoy your meal!