Carolina Gold Rice is an heirloom variety of rice grown in the United States, known for its delicate flavor, fluffy texture, and beautiful golden hue. It makes an excellent base for risotto due to its ability to absorb flavors while retaining a slight bite when cooked. Here is a simple recipe on how to make Carolina Gold Rice Risotto.
- 1 1/2 cups Carolina Gold Rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, warmed
- 1 cup white wine (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs like parsley or chives for garnish (optional)
- Preparation: Start by heating your chicken or vegetable broth in a pot and keep it warm on low heat.
- Sauté the Aromatics: In a separate, large saucepan or skillet, heat olive oil or butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent.
- Toast the Rice: Add the Carolina Gold Rice to the pan with the onion and garlic. Stir for a few minutes to toast the rice slightly and coat it in the oil or butter.
- Deglaze with Wine: If using white wine, pour it into the pan and stir until most of it has been absorbed by the rice. This is optional but adds an extra layer of flavor.
- Add the Broth: Begin adding the warm broth, one ladle at a time, to the rice mixture. Stir frequently. Wait until most of the liquid is absorbed before adding another ladle of broth.
- Cook the Rice: Continue this process of adding broth and stirring, allowing the rice to absorb each addition of broth before adding more. This will take about 18-25 minutes.
- Check the Texture: The risotto is done when the rice is al dente—cooked, yet still retaining a slight bite. You may not need all the broth, or you may need a little more. The risotto should be creamy but not mushy.
- Add Cheese: Once the rice is cooked to your liking, stir in the grated Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish and Serve: Garnish with additional Parmesan and fresh herbs like parsley or chives, if using. Serve immediately.
And there you have it! A delicious Carolina Gold Rice Risotto that makes for a satisfying meal or a luxurious side dish.