Experience a burst of flavors with this delicious butternut and orange soup, a perfect blend of sweet, tangy, and savory. A comforting soup that’s not just heartwarming but also bursting with nutrition.
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 4 cups of butternut and pumpkin, chunked
- 1 small apple, grated
- Grated peel and juice of 1 orange
- 3 tbsp flour
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1 to 2 tsp curry powder
- 1¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- Olive oil (optional)
- Onion Preparation: In a large pot, heat some butter with a splash of olive oil. Once hot, add the finely chopped onions. Sauté until they turn translucent.
- Add Butternut: To the same pot, add the chunks of butternut. Continue sautéing until all the butter has been absorbed and the butternut starts to brown slightly.
- Flour and Spices: Sprinkle the flour, curry powder, and nutmeg into the pot. Stir well, ensuring the butternut chunks get a good coating of the flour and spices.
- Fruits and Liquids: Add the grated apple to the pot. Pour in the chicken stock, milk, and the grated peel and juice of the orange. Mix everything well.
- Simmer: Reduce the heat, cover the pot, and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes, allowing all the ingredients to meld and the butternut to become soft.
- Blending: Once the butternut is tender, use a blender or immersion blender to puree the soup until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Season: Taste and season the soup with salt, pepper, and sugar according to your preference.
- Serve: Pour the soup into bowls and, if desired, top each serving with a dollop of cream for an extra touch of richness.
This butternut and orange soup offers a unique flavor combination that’s sure to be a hit. The sweetness of the butternut, the tang of the orange, and the warmth of the spices make it an exceptional dish for any occasion. Perfect for chilly evenings or when you need a bowl of comfort.