Time: 35 mins (Active: 15 mins)
Servings: 9 biscuits
Experience the epitome of buttery bliss with these easy, one-bowl Butter Swim Biscuits. Tall, fluffy, and with crispy edges, these biscuits are perfect without any accompaniments. However, a dash of jam or a hint of honey can elevate them to an even more delicious treat.
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick/113 grams) unsalted butter
- 2 3/4 cups (345 grams) all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- 2 cups (480 milliliters) well-shaken whole or low-fat buttermilk
- Preparation: Position an oven rack in the middle and preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Place the butter in a 9-inch baking dish or cast-iron skillet and let it melt in the preheating oven. Ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a spacious bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt using a whisk.
- Add Buttermilk: Pour in the buttermilk and stir gently with a spatula until just combined. Avoid overmixing.
- Add Batter to Dish: After removing the hot baking dish/skillet with melted butter from the oven, carefully pour the batter over the butter. Spread the batter evenly using a knife or offset spatula.
- Score the Batter: Confidently score the batter into 9 squares (rounded if using a skillet). Re-score if the lines close up, but they don’t need to be perfect. Cleaning the knife between cuts can be helpful.
- Baking: Bake the biscuits for 20-25 minutes, making sure to rotate the pan halfway through. The biscuits are ready when they’re golden brown on top and have crispy edges.
- Serve: Using the scored lines as a guide, cut the biscuits and serve while warm.
These biscuits are ideally enjoyed warm from the oven. If storing, keep in a container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Warm them in the oven or toaster oven when serving again.
Nutritional Information (Per biscuit):
- Calories: 257
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Cholesterol: 29mg
- Fat: 11g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Sodium: 744mg
- Sugar: 4g
Enjoy the rich and delightful Butter Swim Biscuits as a delicious breakfast or a tea-time treat!