This delectable blackberry mousse recipe is an ode to the magic of foraging. Blackberries, a hedgerow’s gift, lends itself beautifully to this mousse, making it airy and flavourful. Not just desserts, blackberries can be the star of many dishes from savory to sweet, and you can make the most of this seasonal berry.
Preparation Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 450g fresh blackberries, with some extra for garnishing
- 4 eggs, separated
- 100g caster sugar
- 300ml double cream
- 4 gelatine leaves
- A pinch of salt
- In a food processor, blitz the blackberries and then pass them through a sieve. Make sure to discard the seeds and keep the purée aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until they turn pale and fluffy. On the other side, in a saucepan, warm the cream on low heat. When the cream is just about to boil (scalds), pour it over the egg yolk and sugar mixture, whisking continuously. Then transfer this mixture back into the pan.
- Continue to stir this mixture on low heat until the custard starts to thicken slightly. Transfer this into a jug, mix in the blackberry purée, cover it with cling film, and allow it to cool down completely.
- Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for about 10 minutes. After this, squeeze out any excess water from the gelatine leaves. In a small bowl, whisk the gelatine with a tablespoon of boiling water until it melts completely. Once done, whisk this into the blackberry custard.
- In another clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Gently fold these egg whites into the blackberry custard using a large metal spoon until the mixture is smooth and consistent.
- Pour this final mixture into your serving glasses and refrigerate overnight to set. Before serving, garnish with a few fresh blackberries.
The mousse brings out the essence of blackberries and is perfect for those who love a touch of nature’s wild side in their dessert. Head out to the hedgerows during the season, and you’ll have fresh, free blackberries to make this delightful dessert even more special.