The classic Beef Wellington gets a modern, easy-to-make twist! Presented by Chef Janet Loughran, the owner of Red Wagon Meals, here’s a step-by-step guide to prepare these delightful Beef Wellington Pockets that serves 4.
For the Beef:
- 1 lb beef filet (alternatively, sirloin or ribeye can be used)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp oil of choice
For the Mushroom Duxelle:
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 chopped shallot
- 1 cup button mushrooms (trimmed, stemmed)
- 2 Tbsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp white wine (optional)
For the Wellington:
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 4 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 puff pastry sheets (available in the frozen section, defrost in the fridge)
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat your pan to high heat. Dry the beef using paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Sear each side in the hot pan (without oil) for 2-3 minutes. Then, let it cool in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Mince mushrooms and shallots using a food processor (or manually with a knife). In the same pan, sauté this mixture with oil on medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. If you’re using wine, add it and continue sautéing until the mixture becomes paste-like. Let it cool in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F when you’re ready to make the Wellingtons.
- Cut each puff pastry sheet into four squares. Lay a slice of prosciutto on four of these squares.
- Place the steak on the prosciutto slices, brush each with a tablespoon of dijon mustard, and then top with a tablespoon of the mushroom duxelle.
- Cover each steak with another prosciutto slice. Place another puff pastry square over each, and crimp the edges using a fork. Brush the outside with egg yolk and cut a small slit on top for steam.
- Bake the pockets for 10-12 minutes for a medium finish and 15 minutes if you prefer them well-done. You might want to cover them with foil in the last 3 minutes to prevent over-browning.
- Serve your Beef Wellington Pockets with your gravy of choice. Bordelaise is the traditional choice for this dish.
Indulge in this delightful dish and enjoy a gourmet experience right at home!