If the quintessential banana bread and an upscale nut platter had a culinary love child, it would be this Banana and Almond Bread with Hazelnut Butter. Packed with crunchy almonds, smothered in aromatic hazelnut butter, and subtly sweetened by ripe bananas, this bread is a culinary masterpiece that you can enjoy as a breakfast, snack, or even dessert. The addition of coconut oil and coconut yoghurt not only adds a tropical twist but also ups the health quotient with healthy fats and live cultures.
For the Bread:
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut yoghurt (with live cultures, if available)
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Hazelnut Butter:
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- A pinch of salt
- Optional: 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
Making the Bread:
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a loaf pan or line it with parchment paper.
- Prepare Wet Ingredients: In a large bowl, mash the ripe bananas. Add the melted coconut oil, coconut yoghurt, honey (or maple syrup), eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Prepare Dry Ingredients: In a separate bowl, mix together the almond flour, chopped almonds, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- Combine: Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour and Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool: Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Making the Hazelnut Butter:
- Roast the Hazelnuts: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Spread the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and roast for 10-15 minutes, or until they’re slightly browned.
- Blend: Once cooled, remove the skins by rubbing the hazelnuts with a towel. Place them in a blender or food processor, add coconut oil, a pinch of salt, and optional sweetener. Blend until smooth.
Slice the cooled banana and almond bread and generously spread with the freshly made hazelnut butter.
Whether it’s breakfast in bed, an afternoon snack, or a luxurious dessert, this Banana and Almond Bread with Hazelnut Butter is a versatile dish that’s sure to impress. Its marriage of flavors and healthful ingredients make it a winning choice for any meal of the day.