Apple pie spice is an aromatic blend of warm spices commonly employed in baking, especially for apple pies and other apple-based desserts. It’s an easy mix to prepare using pantry spices, and it’s also customizable. Not to mention, it makes for an excellent homemade gift!
- 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a small bowl, add 1/4 cup ground cinnamon, 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- Whisk or stir the mixture until all ingredients are well combined.
- Transfer the spice mix to an airtight container and store it at room temperature. It has a shelf life of up to a year.
- Generally, 1 to 2 teaspoons of this apple pie spice can season about 4 pounds of sliced apples.
- It’s an excellent addition to coffee, instantly transforming it into a fall-flavored delight.
- Some other suggestions include:
- Mixing it into ice cream.
- Incorporating into pancake batter.
- Sprinkling it over warm apple cider.
- Tossing it with cubed sweet potatoes before roasting.
Note: As with all seasonings, it’s recommended to start with a smaller quantity, adjusting and adding more as needed.