This article highlights a delicious, budget-friendly Vegan Burrito Bowl recipe from Sam Dixon’s cookbook, “Broke Vegan One Pot”. The book focuses on affordable vegan meals that can be prepared using only one pot. The recipe captures the essence of a traditional burrito without the wrap and emphasizes the simplicity and cost-effectiveness of the dish.
Vegan Burrito Bowl Recipe
Ingredients for the Burrito Bowl (Yields 4 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- One 13-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/3 cups raw white long‑grain rice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- One (13-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- Water for cooking
For the Tomato Salsa and Avocado Topping:
- 4 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Handful of cilantro leaves, finely chopped (extra for serving)
- 2 avocados, halved, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 2 Little Gem lettuces or 3 cups shredded Iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Optional: Vegan “sour cream”
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and sauté the onion until soft and translucent (about 8 minutes).
- Add beans, rice, spices, tomato purée, and the diced tomatoes. Pour water into the emptied tomato can (filled halfway) and add to the mixture. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat, cover, and let it simmer for about 25 minutes until the rice is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid. Add more water if it seems too dry.
- For the topping, arrange tomatoes, red onion, and cilantro for the salsa on a chopping board. Season the avocado and lettuce separately on different corners of the board. Drizzle olive oil and squeeze a lime wedge over each of the toppings.
- Serve the rice mixture across four bowls. Top with tomato salsa, avocado, and lettuce. Optionally, add a dollop of vegan sour cream. Garnish with reserved cilantro.
For a unique and refreshing touch, you can prepare Mango Salsa and Pickled Cucumber Topping. This addition will bring a zesty and tangy flavor to complement the burrito bowl.