Fennel seeds, known for their distinct aroma and flavor, are staples in many Indian and Mediterranean cuisines. Beyond their delightful taste, they are a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals including E, C, K, and several essential macro and micronutrients. They play a vital role in freshening breath and enhancing digestive health. Ready to add a twist to your regular recipes with fennel seeds? Here’s how:
1. Fennel Rice
An aromatic rice dish with the unique taste of fennel seeds.
- Sauté onions in olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add fennel seeds, and sauté for 8 minutes.
- Mix in rinsed basmati rice, water, salt, parsley, dill, and pepper. Bring to boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes, then drizzle olive oil, mix well, and serve hot.
2. Fennel and Honey Cake
A sweet treat with a hint of fennel.
- Toast fennel seeds and allow them to cool.
- Whisk the seeds with lemon zest, butter, and sugar for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in eggs, milk, baking powder, salt, flour, and grated fennel.
- Bake for one hour.
- For the icing, blend honey, butter, powdered sugar, and cream cheese. Smother over the cake.
3. Fennel Pancakes
A twist on the classic with the addition of fennel.
- Crush cardamom pods and grind fennel seeds into a fine powder.
- Prepare a batter using fennel powder, cardamom, flour, semolina, milk, baking powder, and caster sugar.
- For the topping, simmer orange juice, caster sugar, and water for 3-4 minutes. Whisk ricotta cheese, sugar, and orange zest in a separate bowl.
- Fry pancakes in ghee and serve with ricotta and orange syrup.
4. Fennel Paneer Curry
A creamy curry with a hint of fennel.
- Season paneer cubes with salt. Create a paste from fennel seed powder and water.
- Sauté paneer in oil and set aside.
- To the same pan, add bay leaves, fennel seeds, ginger paste, green chilies, salt, and fennel seed paste.
- Incorporate green peas, fried paneer, sugar, and warm milk. Cook well and serve.
5. Fennel Rice Kheer
A delightful dessert infused with fennel flavor.
- Soak basmati rice for 30 minutes, then drain.
- In a pot, bring full cream milk to a boil. Mix in the rice, stirring continuously.
- Add sugar, fennel seeds, fennel powder, and nuts. Cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
Incorporate these delicious recipes into your culinary repertoire, and experience the magic of fennel seeds in your dishes!